Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Challenging Yourself



A few weeks ago I found a wonderful hat pattern. It's perfect for some neutral colored recycled cashmere yarn that  I bought it on sale last week at Creative Ewe. I needed a pattern that used dk weight yarn. I found a gorgeous one with lots of cables at www.rebeccagravespottery.com. It's called The Ruby Cashmere Cable Touque. She has some other beautiful patterns, as well. There's a cabled scarf that I'm dying to make! What a talented artist she is.

After printing the pattern out at the library, I tried getting started on it. I immediately had trouble with the first row. I attempted it  a couple of times, but kept ending up confused and with an off stitch count. I put it away for a while, and worked on my shawl. I also relaxed with some some fun and easy charity knitting.

This morning I decided to tackle the pattern again. I figured out why I was having trouble. I inserted locking stitch markers every eight stitches, so that I could check my work after each pattern repeat. I haven't done much cabling, so I got reacquainted with the technique. It takes some coordination.


I made this shawl about five years ago. It's how I learned to do cables. It's called The Favorite Hollywood Shawl Vest. It's designed by Vera Sanon. She's on Ravelry. I absolutely love it. I made one for my mom, too.

Sometimes we need to absorb information in order to learn it. I reread the pattern, and realized that the first two rows were the most complicated. After that, it gets much easier. The more I worked on it, the more natural  the movements became. I started to get into a rhythm, and my confidence returned. The body needs repetition to memorize a new movement. As a dancer, I've always known this to be true.

I was initially intimidated by the charts. Now that I understand them, I am enjoying using them. I see how convenient they make things, once you have learned the language. Often in dance, when you first are taught something, it feels very difficult, maybe even impossible. As you practice and break it down, you relax, get comfortable, and eventually it becomes second nature.


I find the same with most things. Spending time each day working on your technique helps you to improve. This works in all areas of life. Sometimes we avoid the things that we fear. If we just do a little bit at a time, and put in the regular hours, we may surprise ourselves with the progress that we make.  

Thank you for your comments. I appreciate all of them. If you enjoy the articles here, please share them. All comments in English, please. Thank you.

14 comments:

  1. Great message Stephanie. If I struggle, I too tend to step away from it before I get too frustrated. Then I can come back to it, and it does tend to be more doable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I find, too, Lady Locust. Every problem has a solution.

      Delete
  2. I made a tea cosy last year from a friend and I unpicked it do many times. I eventually mastered it and I felt great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, Tania. I know what you mean. Sticking with a challenging project and finishing it is very rewarding.

      Delete
  3. I made a tea cosy last year from a friend and I unpicked it do many times. I eventually mastered it and I felt great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Tania. I know the feeling of having to unpick a project many times. Good for you for finishing it!

      Delete
  4. Such a great post. Your Hollywood shawl looks gorgeous! The yarn for my first shawl arrived in the post this week and I'm looking forward to making a start on it and challenging myself some more. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's wonderful, Meg. I look forward to seeing photos of it on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is sometimes a bit scary to accept a challenge, but sticking with it is a wonderful feeling of accomplishment. I love to cable knit and was gifted a book of cabling patterns from my sons one Christmas a few years ago. It is a beautiful book and so inspiring! Good luck with the cable hat-is it knit in the round? Learning how to knit on DPN is my challenge for this year. I am not fond of patterns with charts-I do much better with written instructions. And I live and breath stitch markers! Gotta have 'em!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a nice gift from your son, Anita. Yes, this hat is knit in the round. I know what you mean about the stitch markers. I need them to mark each panel. I think you will do very well with dpn's. I love them.

      Delete
  7. I tell myself that one day I'll take up knitting, but it hasn't happened yet ;)

    So glad to read that Lula has found her forever home with you. She's a lucky girl :)

    xo,
    rue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Rue! Thanks for stopping by; I love your beautiful blog. Thanks. Lula had an intentional accident on the carpet this morning. I may have to get the crate out of the shed. She is a real sweetie, though.

      Delete
  8. Your look os beautiful. Have a Happy week. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra, Thanks for the compliment and for leaving a comment.

      Delete